Note: This savory marinara sauce just takes minutes to make, and is every bit delicious. Use it on Italian dishes like pastas, meats, or in casseroles. The best recipe ever, you will cherish this sauce!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup Kitchen Basics chicken stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- ½ cup water
Yield: 4 Cups
- Pour olive oil in a 6-quart saucepan and sauté onions and garlic about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden in color. Add tomatoes, sugar, basil leaves, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Let the sauce simmer about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and allow the spices and tomatoes to simmer together about another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, and paste and stir well to break up the paste. Add the water, and a little more if needed for a smooth consistency. Let the sauce simmer on low heat about 8 minutes. Makes 4 cups.