NOTE: This salad is a little variation from my regular Italian salad. I have added the shredded mozzarella and basil sprigs. A great summer salad that enhances any entree.
- 1 bunch green leaf lettuce
- 1 large bunch red leaf lettuce
- ½ cup olives, black, green or Kalamata, pitted
- ½ cup tender celery hearts, chopped
- 1 small purple or white onion, sliced into rings
- Pepperoncini rings
- 1 to 2 large garden tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Italian Vinaigrette
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Basil sprigs [caption id="attachment_1206" align="alignleft" width="230"] A great summer Italian salad with fresh tomatoes and basil sprigs[/caption]
Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- Rinse lettuce well and pat dry. Chop the lettuce coarsely and place into a large salad bowl. Add the olives, celery, onion rings, pepperoncini rings, and tomatoes. Toss the salad well.
- Place the salad into 6 bowls and add the Italian vinaigrette.
- Make the dressing by combining the olive oil, vinegars, and salt and pepper into a jar with a lid. Shake the ingredients well to combine. Pour the dressing over the salads. Top each salad with the shredded mozzarella. Makes 6 to 8 salads.