NOTE: Pasta e Fagioli is a delicious classic Italian soup and can be found at most Italian restaurants. You will love this version, and the whole family will love you for making it. Serve with your favorite crusty Italian bread.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped small
- 2/3 cup carrots, chopped small
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, juice included
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans,
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons curly parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Kitchen Basics chicken stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- ¾ cup ditali pasta
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- Parmesan cheese
Yield: 6 Servings
- Pour olive oil into an 8-quart sauce pan, and sauté onion, garlic, celery, and carrots for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the ground sausage, and continue to fry with the vegetables another 6 to 8 minutes, until meat is no longer pink.
- Add the tomatoes, cannellini beans, red kidney beans, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and parsley. Stir the soup well and simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and tomato sauce. Stir well and let simmer with lid on for 15 minutes. Remove lid and stir soup. Taste, and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Boil the ditali pasta in salted water for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water; add the undercooked pasta directly to the soup. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes for pasta to be al dente. If soup feels too thick, add some of the reserved pasta water. Serve in pasta bowls and garnish with plenty of Parmesan cheese. Serves 6.