NOTE: This is one salad recipe you will use over and over. It is so full of flavor, and all topped off with a sweet sour sauce, that really brings it all together. Yum!
- 1(8-ounce) package fresh washed spinach, stems removed
- ½ cup green onions, tops included, chopped small
- 1(8-ounce) package button mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound thick-sliced peppered bacon
- Sweet Sour Sauce
- Bacon drippings, ½ cup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar, more if needed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 (8-ounce) container feta cheese
Yield: 6 Salads
- Place the spinach into a large bowl; remove any long stems Add the mushroom and the green onions and give the salad a toss.
- Place the walnuts and sugar in a medium skillet, and over medium heat, stir the walnuts and sugar occasionally until toasted and candied, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Cut the bacon strips in half for easier frying. Fry the bacon until crisp; remove bacon and set aside. Reserve the drippings, at least 1/2 cup.
- Make the sweet sour sauce by heating the bacon drippings to a gentle boil. Add the vinegar, sugar, and salt, and stir until well combined. Remove from heat and pour the drippings over the spinach. Give the salad a toss to coat well.
- Divide the spinach among 6 bowls. Place the crisp bacon over top of each salad. Top each salad with a sliced hard-boiled egg. Next, divide the candied walnuts over the salads. Lastly, divide the feta cheese, as much as desired, over the salads. Makes 6 salads.