NOTE: This sweet cobbler will literally melt in your mouth. Savory peaches with cinnamon and sugar under a canopy of flaky pie crust will make a lasting memory.
- 1 box Betty Crocker pie crust mix
- 8 to 9 cups sliced fresh peaches
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Prepare pie crust as directed on package, using all the mix. Bring the mixture to a ball and let rest until ready to top peaches.
- Peel and core peaches and slice into medium slices. Combine peaches, sugar, flour, tapioca, and cinnamon and place in a large heavy pot. Over low heat, warm the peaches with the sugar mixture until syrup starts to form, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla, almond extract and butter. Stir together well until the butter melts.
- Place peaches in a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan. Flatten dough ball into a round disk with your hands. Roll dough on floured counter, turning and sifting flour to avoid sticking. Roll the dough into one thick 13-inch by 9-inch rectangular sheet of dough. Carefully fold the dough sheet in half, and place over the peaches. Unfold the dough to cover the peaches, tucking the dough in around the pan.
- Cut slits in top of crust for steam escape. Sprinkle top liberally with sugar. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbly. Serves 8 to 10.