- 1 9-inch prepared crust for a single pie, baked
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small chocolate candy bar
Yield: Serves 8
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Prepare pie crust and roll dough to fit a 9-inch pie pan. Prick bottom of crust with fork. Flute edges and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden in color; set aside.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and cocoa in a 3-quart heavy saucepan and stir together. Beat egg yolks and milk together and gradually stir into the sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with slotted spatula so mixture will not lump. Mixture will begin to thicken and bubble. Lower heat and boil one minute more, continuing to stir.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and butter; stir until the butter is melted. Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell. Cover with wax paper and let cool about 30 minutes, and then chill until firm.
- Cover with whipped cream and chocolate curls and serve. Makes 8 servings.
- FOR WHIPPED CREAM:
- Beat whipping cream until foamy, gradually adding powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and sugar melts. Beat until firm peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie filling. Using a potato peeler, scrape candy bar curls over top and serve.