NOTE: This dish is laden with sweet peppers, onion, and mushrooms complete with savory chicken. It is truly an Italian classic.
- 12 ounces long curly pasta,
- Or egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 chicken breasts, halved
- Lawry’s coarse garlic salt with parsley added
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large red bell pepper, sliced medium
- 2 large green bell pepper, sliced medium
- 1 medium onion, small quartered
- 1 (8-ounce) carton mushrooms, thick sliced, about 2 cups
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- ½ cup reserved pasta water
- 2 tablespoons fresh curly parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
Yield: Serves 8
- Rinse chicken in cool water; pat dry. Remove fat and skin if desired; sprinkle the chicken lightly with the coarse garlic salt on both sides. Dredge in flour combined with salt and black pepper. In large skillet, or large electric skillet, add the olive oil and butter. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and sauté just until browned, about 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Remove chicken to platter; set aside.
- In same skillet, add the bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms. Sauté the vegetables over medium heat about 2 to 3 minutes to keep the vegetables crisp tender. Add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and continue to stir fry another minute.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, and capers. Return chicken over the vegetables. Put lid on skillet and bring to gentle simmer over low heat. Simmer the chicken and vegetables for 30 to 35 minutes without removing lid. Turn heat off after 35 minutes and keep lid on another 10 minutes while boiling pasta.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in an 8-quart pot boiling water with salt added. Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup pasta water and place in large pasta platter. Place the vegetables and sauce over the pasta. Place the chicken over the vegetables. Sprinkle dish with parsley. Serves 6 to 8.