NOTE: Mexican rice is a wonderful side dish to any Mexican entrée, and this one is exceptional. You will love the crunch of the green onions, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups kitchen Basics Chicken stock
- 1 (10-ounce) can Ro Tel diced tomatoes & green chilies
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup green onions, tops included, chopped fine
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeno, chopped small
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Yield: Serves 6
- Place olive oil into a large heavy skillet. Let oil heat up and add rice. Set timer for 8 minutes and begin to stir rice, every 30 seconds to 1 minute. Rice will turn a golden color. Add the chicken stock, and allow the rice to start bubbling. Continue to stir rice for another 6 to 8 minutes, until most of the chicken stock is absorbed.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, onions, cilantro, jalapeno and cumin. Add ¼ cup water if mixture seems to thick; stir the vegetables and seasonings until blended. Place the lid on the skillet over medium low heat, and let the rice cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir rice and add the remaining ¼ cup water to loosen the rice. Rice should be a little crunchy, not over cooked. Taste, and add salt and pepper as desired. Serves 6 to 8.