NOTE: This salad is not only beautiful, but crunchy with candied pecans and fresh strawberries. The Strawberry Vinaigrette sends this salad over the top.
- Sugar-Coated Pecans
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 cups Red curly-leaf lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, left whole
- ½ cup green onions, tops included, chopped small
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 (16-ounce) package variegated cheese cubes
- Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place pecans in dry skillet with sugar. Toast pecans until they become sugar-coated, about 3 minutes. Remove to wax paper to cool.
- Place chopped lettuce and spinach leaves in a large glass bowl. Add green onions, strawberries, and Sugar-Coated Pecans; toss together. Scatter cheese cubes over top and toss throughout salad.
- Make Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing by combining the olive oil, vinegar, strawberry preserves, salt, and pepper into a jar with lid. Shake dressing well. Pour dressing onto salad, letting it seep down through the leaves. Serve with crackers of your choice. Delicious! Serves 8 to 10. NOTE: Place strawberry preserves in microwave for one minute to soften.