NOTE: this soup is silky and smooth, and the broccoli is still firm and delicious. a great soup for an anytime occaision.
- 1 bunch broccoli florets, broken into small pieces (about 4 cups)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups Kitchen Basics low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 10-ounces Velveeta cheese (not light), cut into small chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place broccoli, carrots, chicken stock, and chicken base in an 8-quart heavy pot. Cook together over medium heat until boiling, and then simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- I a large skillet, melt butter until bubbly. Add flour all at once and begin stirring with flat slotted spatula until smooth. Slowly add the half-and-half, stirring constantly for a smooth consistency. Add the Velveeta and continue to stir until smooth and cheese is melted into the cream.
- Add the cheese sauce to the broccoli mixture and simmer over low heat about 8 minutes, stirring often; be careful not to burn bottom. Add the salt and pepper to taste. The soup will continue to thicken as it cools. Garnish top with shredded cheddar cheese. Makes 4 bowls soup.