NOTE: This dish is a fabulous way to show off the tender tortellini bathed in a creamy tomato alfredo. So much to love in this dish!
- ½ stick butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1(20-ounce) package 5-cheese tortellini
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1(8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Parmesan cheese
- Coarse ground pepper
Yield: 10 to 12
- Place a large pot of water on the stove; add the salt and bring to a boil.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the olive oil. Toss in the broccoli florets, mushrooms and garlic. Stir-fry the vegetables with the garlic for about 5 minutes; keeping the vegetables crisp tender.
- Add the diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and basil; continue to gently cook the vegetables on low heat, about another 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes are heated through. While the vegetables are gently simmering, place the tortellini in the boiling water. Let the tortellini cook only for about 3 minutes. Gently remove the tortellini with a slotted spoon and add them to the vegetables. Stir the tortellini in with the vegetables and add the small can of tomato sauce. Bring the mixture back to gentle boil.
- Add the cream, and as it begins to heat through, slowly add the cheese a little at a time stirring constantly. When all the cheese has been stirred in, let the mixture cook together for another 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle of sea salt over the sauce. Serve in individual bowls, and garnish with Parmesan cheese and coarse black pepper.
- Yield 8 to 10 servings.