NOTE: This salad comes from the Isle of Capri, and could be one of the most popular of Italian salads. If possible, use only vine-ripened tomatoes and fresh grown basil for the best flavor.
- ½ pound buffalo mozzarella cheese, drained and cubed small
- 2 large fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, small quartered
- Or 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, torn in pieces
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Yield: Serves 6.
- Place the mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil leaves in a medium bowl. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Serve with toasted Italian bread. Serves 6.