Here we are 14 days into the New Year and I still cannot get into my weight loss plan. Not that I had a particular plan picked out, but I did at least have an idea of some things that worked in the past. Some of which were eating salads, soups, little meat and lots of fruits and vegetables. It was usually the low carbs, low fat, low sugar, and still I had visions of pasta in my dreams. I love to cook and create recipes, so dieting was, and always is, a challenge for me. What is evident is this…my mind is not in sync with my desire. And we all know, that if it doesn’t take hold in our will, it won’t make a change.
However, there is one thing I have learned about losing weight. It must be a diet that I can live with for the rest of my life. So, let me revel in my 12-step program. My support group is anyone who will listen to me.
- I admit, I love to eat.
- I will try to eat in moderation. Instead of eating three pieces of chocolate pie, I will limit myself to one. (Good luck on that.)
- I will eliminate all sodas, diet and regular, both are inhibitors to weight loss. But my yearly root-beer float won’t kill me.
- I will use honey in all my drinks for a sweetener. This is a great weight-reducing substitute for sugar, and has many health properties. Artificial sweeteners are the Devil!
- I will always eat breakfast, it starts my metabolism furnace burning. Eggs are good for me and I need the protein.
- I will eat a lot of dark green salads like red-leaf, spinach, kale, and romaine. Add carrots, tomatoes, pepperoncini, avocados and extra virgin olive oil with red wine or cider vinegar…yum.
- I will eat red meat in moderation; a 4-ounce portion is healthy. Fish, chicken, and turkey are also good sources of protein…Italian turkey meatballs are pretty good.
- I will eat real food as much as possible…preservatives and processors are killers.
- I will eat healthy dairy that has proved to accelerate fat loss; yogurt, buttermilk, coconut milk, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, Parmesan, and most any cheeses.
- I will eat fresh fruits; these are better than processed juice.
- I will exercise whenever possible!
- I will try my best to get an 8-hour restful sleep every night. Don’t read Harry Potter before going to bed.
So, there you have folks, how about a way of life, rather than a diet. I guarantee we would all shed some pounds if we would just eat a little healthier. Did I mention eggplant parmigiana over rotini? That’s in my next blog….”Pasta don’t count.”